Sunday, September 13, 2009

Southern Hospitality

My schedule has quickly filled up thanks to the kind, inclusive spirit of almost everyone I've met. Soccer, gardening, church searching, and weekly festivals are keeping me busy in my time away from the Urban Ministry Center.

Covenant Presbyterian Church, literally in my backyard, had some of the best choral music at any service I've ever attended. Despite my choral experience in high school and college, I'm jealous that I didn't grow up in a church with a strong musical tradition. I found the sermon on integrity at the Universalist Unitarian Church of Charlotte to be very engaging and relevant. Thinking I would blend into the background, I was caught off-guard by the efforts of the congregations to engage visitors with a personal welcome in front of the congregation, extensive materials available on the churches, weekly Q&A sessions with members, and meet and greets with the ministers. These are but two of the thousands of churches here in Charlotte. Growing up in Boulder, CO, and Portland, OR, known as liberal, atheist and agnostic hubs, I've never experienced anything like the sense of community churches offer to involved citizens outside of school, work and extraciricular activities and I find it quite refreshing.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful community--do you plan to join a choir? We've got Skype up & running and looked for you, found a Brittany Larson in charlotte...is that you? Miss you and love to hear your news...Love, M&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany,

    Just heard from your Mom - that's great that you were able to connect with your Mom with Skype. . We'll have to work on it- send some pictures if you can. Interesting about the churches....Amity and Ainsley attend a Presbyterian church in San Jose--are you thinking of joining the Unitarian - remember that quiz we took. We're thinking of you and miss you. Lots of love, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brittany -
    Thanks so much for posting your blog...it's great! My "auntie" recommendation is for you to JOIN a choir!! it will connect you to your community like nothing else.
    Alicia and Amity and I sang with our church choir in Connecticut and it was great, and now I'm with a gospel choir in NYC...wherever you go - music is there. i hope that you're feeling settled and happy. Good luck with the soccer program.
    much love,
    Auntie M

    ReplyDelete